Best Kid-Friendly Fabric for Sofas & Tips for Family-Friendly Design
Back in the day, living rooms were only used for special occasions. Your mother or grandmother’s living room displayed delicate collectables, proudly showcased atop pristine tables alongside beautiful yet uncomfortable chairs and a sofa, and carpet with vacuum marks, on which no one walked.
Fast forward to today, when living spaces are designed, well, for living! In the homes of today, the trend is family-friendly, a space designed to blend comfort and style, a space that can handle the kids’ antics and survive, while still looking attractive.
How do you achieve this sought-after family-friendly style? Let’s explore the best tips for family-friendly design including how to choose kid-friendly fabrics for your furniture.
How Do You Live?
It is important to consider you and your family’s lifestyle in order to achieve your unique family-friendly style. You have to approach the subject realistically, thinking about the demands your family will put on your living space. Do your kids play ball in the house or eat food all over the house? These are crucial considerations when determining how you will decorate your space.
Decorate Now with the Future in Mind
You’ve likely heard friends say they are waiting to do the real decorating when their kids are older. You may have even said it yourself. Honestly, you shouldn’t wait. Decorate now, design a home your entire family can enjoy, and teach your children to respect and care for the home. Your kids can even be a part of the process, helping select fabrics and colors from your pre-approved choices. In doing so, they will likely feel ownership and greater appreciation for items they helped select.
When planning your family-friendly design, keep casual and comfortable clean lines in mind. You should avoid skirts on couches or chairs and go for attractive exposed legs. The trending vintage styles as well as contemporary looks are attractive and family friendly. You’re not only planning for aesthetics but also low maintenance. After all, the point is to enjoy the space with your family, not spend all your time fluffing pillows, dusting, and vacuuming.
Patterns, colors, and textures are strong supporters of family-friendly style. Each can look great when coordinated, plus they also help hide spills, dirt, fingerprints, and other issues that come along with kids, pets, and family.
Combining rich hues and patterns, as well as textures work well on upholstered furniture, as well as walls and floors. You can actually choose a deeper hue for paint and flooring, as colors often look lighter when applied to large surfaces like walls and floors.
Choosing institutional-quality materials, goods, and finishes are great options for your family-friendly design. For example, wipeable paint (semi-gloss, eggshell, or satin) is more costly but can withstand cleaning after sticky fingers, crayons, or ball marks. Here are a few more ideas:
- Washable flat paints, featuring a rich matte finish, are another good option for families with aspiring artist and athletes.
- A chalkboard paint wall can also prove to be a positive solution in family-friendly design.
- Semi-gloss is the optimal choice for high traffic areas of your home, like entryways, hallways, and mudrooms.
Window coverings also pose a challenge when decorating for a family-friendly home. Obviously those beautiful, long drapes may not be the best choice with kids and pets around. Choose attractive blinds or shades which can be wiped clean and secured out of reach as the need arises. You’ll find lots of variety from which to choose including bamboo, reeds, and more.
Obviously, you’ll also want flooring which lends itself to easy clean-up. There’s lots to choose from as wood, tile, laminate, and linoleum have options to fit your budget, clean up easily, and still look fabulous.
When designing your family-friendly spaces, you’ll want to buy the highest quality of furniture which fits into your budget. You want heavy, well-constructed, hardwood design, complete with screws, glue, and corner blocks as well as upgraded cushions which can hold their shape no matter the challenges your kids may bring. Plus, these higher end pieces can withstand the test of time and even be re-upholstered as the kids grow up.
Kid-friendly fabric options for furniture are more plentiful than you might first think. Obviously flat weaves and heavier fabrics will be more durable choices but adding Scotchgard or a stain resistant finish is always a good idea, no matter what fabric you go with! Here are some of the best choices for family-friendly fabrics:
- Leather can complement any style and is a versatile choice. It wipes clean easily and become even more attractive and supple with loads of family love. A durable option, with a simple leather conditioner treatment bi-annually, leather can last for years and years. Plus, leather won’t retain the odors which often accompany spills and other accidents like other fabrics will. Leather tends to be more costly, but with its staying power, it should be considered more of an investment in your family-friendly design.
- Microfiber is available in a variety of textures (suede, corduroy, you get the idea), all of which are stain resistant. Most microfiber can be cleaned with water, but as with all fabrics, check manufacturer’s instructions before cleaning.
- Vinyl is among the easy care, virtually stain proof options and can offer the same beauty as leather at a more reasonable price. It is easy to clean; spills wipe away with water. Vinyl is durable as well, withstanding lots of kid-friendly fun and games.
- Denim and Twill are most often associated with pants, but they are sturdy options which are super kid-friendly and attractive. Coming in an unlimited variety of colors, denim and twill are great choices for family-friendly design.
- Wool and Wool Blends are also durable fabric options in kid-friendly design. In most instances, these fabrics can be spot cleaned, plus they are resistant to snagging, pilling, and wrinkling.
The goal is family-friendly and with these tips, you should be well on the way to creating your cozy, comfortable, and welcoming design for your beautiful Sky Cove home.
Schedule a Virtual – or Private, In-Person – Sky Cove Tour
Sky Cove of Westlake in West Palm Beach has the perfect home for you and your family. Our floor plan includes a spacious, luxury kitchen with quartz or granite countertops, hurricane impact glass windows, oversized backyard, and more!
Plan your visit and see what the community has to offer family members of all ages. Contact Sky Cove of Westlake today for a private, in-person or virtual tour!